Skip to main content

tv   Frontline  PBS  April 16, 2019 3:00am-5:00am PDT

3:00 am
>> narrator: tonight, a special presentation from "frontline", independent lense, and voces. >> i love my country. i put my life on the line. my country won't let my husbandi here. >> marcos? >> yeah. >> it's difficult to live without my fily. (shouting) life. is missing their entire >> daddy... >> pele, we will be together pele. (crying) >> you have done everything. >> i refuse to say that cause he's not here. >> i just wanna be with you and the babies. i don't want to take t chance.is >> the time illing me. >> how many hoops do you have to jump through for your family to be together? >> you want me to move there, right' not talking about the babies. i'm talking about us. >> love you elizabeth. >> i love you marcos.
3:01 am
>> narrator: tonight,t "marcos doesve here anymore". >> major support for frontline, itvs, and latino public broadcasting is provided by the coporation for public br dcasting. frontline is made possible by contributions to your pbs station from viewers like you. thank you. major suort is provided by the john d. and catherine t. macarthur foundation. coitted to building a more just, verdant, and peaceful world. additonal support isrovided by the abrams foundation. committed to excellence in journalism. the park foundation. ng dedicated to heighteublic awareness of critical issues. the john and helen glessner family trust. supporting trustworthy inspires.m that informs and the heising-simons foundation. portunity, and possibilities. and by the frontline journalism fund. with major support from jon and jo ann hagler. major support for frontline is provided by the ford foundation. working with visionaries on the fronlines of social change worldwide.
3:02 am
and for this program, by it's justfilms initiative. >> staff sergeant elizabeth perez, united states marine corps, please come to the front. >> good afternoon, ladies andge lemen. as a member of the lake county marine veterans honor guard, i present you with these national colors for the city of east cleveland to fly at city hall. (audience applauds) >> east cleland takes great pride in accepting the flag. this flag, from you, is super- special, because we here at east cleveland know the plight of your journey. this flag represents freedom. east cleveland is honored to accept this flag for everything that you represent and who y represent. i thank you. >> thank you, ma'am. >> the residents of east cleveland are very, very, very grateful for your service tohe united states marine corps.
3:03 am
i'd also like to acknowledge ms. veronica dahlberg, who is the executive director of thega spanish zation and has chosen to partner with you, sergeant, as means to help in your efforts. it's an unfortunate situationed thato the deportation of her husband. i, as an individual and a citizen of t united states, do support your efforts in regaining your husband's citizenshito the united states. >> thank you, sir. (audience applauds) >> if i could say some words here, too.an thyou so much for having us today. and the gift of the flag was really just gesture of friendship and goodwill. however, i didn't want to leave without asking, since you want to help elizabeth, because we have not been able to get any help for her case. for five long years, she's been separaom her husband, who was deported in 2010. ed and she her family to be together. and it just seems like we keep hitting closed doors everywhere. and i think it would be helpful ifuld get a resolution or
3:04 am
a letter from the city council in support of elizabeth's case and we could give it to our senators and our members ofg congress sayat the city of east cleveland supports the reunification of her family. as a marine veteran who has served ten years, she deservesh that they cut throe bureaucratic tape and reunite her family. so, we're hoping that you can helps with the resolution. thank you for your time. >> we will talk to our lawk director and get b you as soon as possible. >> okay, thank you. >> okay, you guys ready to call daddy? >> yes! (skype tones playing) >> marcos! >> yeah! >> daddy! >> hi, guys. >> hey! can you hear us? >> yeah. >> hi!>> ho's that? >> where's my bed? is it at your house? >> yeah, i'm at my house! do you want to come to my house? >> yes! >> yeah, you can come! >> can i go to daddy's house, mom? >> you will go later, honey. >> you don't want to let me go h to daddyse.
3:05 am
that wasn't nice. >> okay. you guys wanna say your prayers with daddy? >> yes. >> are you ready, marcos? >> yeah! >> ready? pelé? >> ready, pelé? >> iethe father, the baby, th son, the holy... and the baby. >> okay, pelé. you ready? come on, l's go. >> in the name of the father, the son, the holy spirit. amen. >> dear jesus. >> dear baby. >> thank you for my family, thank you for my friends, and i love you, jesus. amen. >> night-nht, pelé. night-night, rocky. besito! >> daddy, are you gonna sleep for a little bit? >> yeah. >> after you woke up? >> aw. >> night-night, dad.-n >> nightight, pelé.ni t-night, rocky. love you guys! night night, pelé. >> all right, love you.e >> lu.
3:06 am
>> forward, march! left, right, lo right. right, left. left, right, lo right. right, left. left, right, hi lo right. lo left, right, lo right. right, left. left, right. right, left. (phone ringing) >> hello, leopold and associates. hi, sir. actuallyattorney leopold is in a meeting right now. i can go aad and take your name and number, and i'll make sure he gets your message. >> hi, elizabeth, how are you? a >> i'm good, you? >> yeah, good.ad so youo trouble finding us today? >> nope. got here pretty good, thanks. >> good. it's good to see you. >> you, too.me >> reminif you would, of your, your experience in the u.s. marines. whenou got in, and, and, and ah, what you did there and, and, when you left the rines.
3:07 am
>> um, first i joined the ohio army national guard before the marine corps, and that was in 1999. >> mm-hmm. >> we went to afghanistan in 2003, january, so it was right at the same week when, actually the day we gote plane to go to afghanistan was the day former president bush was on tvg giaddam hussein the 48 hours. and then i joined the marine corps. and i was in there for five years. >> mm-hmm. i love my country. i literally, literally put my life on the line. i mean, i was scared a couple of times about things that could happen. y h. >> it's not fair. my country won't let my husband live here. >> okay. so at some point, you leave the marines, you get back here.e tellw you met marco. >> ah, i met him when i was in california. m um, i actuallyet him walking down the street. and, yeah, we just hit it off right away.ev i mean since the day i met him, we spent every single day
3:08 am
together. >> what i love about elizabeth right away, instantly, i get interested in having a relationship with her. i never meetomebody like, like, like her, like so human. and she's not really materiistic. and when i'm in mexico, i never meet my dad. i, ah, i, i don't live really much with my, with my mom. so, when i meet her, she totally become right away like my family. that's what, i love her for that. >> so, at the time that marco gets picked up by immigration, you already knew there was a problem with his status. you had be to a lawyer... >> mm-hmm. >> ...hoping to start the process. >> yeah. >> how does it happen that he got picked up? what happened? >> he was running through a yellow light, and the police called me on my cell phone. they couldn't identify him, and ,ey're asking me who he w and then the police told me, "well, we can just call ice.n
3:09 am
and ice rify who he is." and i said, and i was really respectful, i was, like, "no, sir. you don't have to do that." >> yeah. >> and right when i said that,ha right after i said my... i don't know why my phone died-- my phone died. like, it just shut off. and i couldn't call back. >> they were holding him on a traffic violation. >> yeah. the lawyer you talked to told you not to pay that bail. that would give him... to get him out on a traffic violation, ncause if you did that, t ice would come and take him, immigration and customsd enforcement wome and take him. >> yes. >> so you were not to pay the bail, that he was held by the state authorities. >> yes. >> all right.? and, what happens ne >> after he spent his 14 days in mayfield heights, they turd him over to immigration, and then he just called me one day, from his cell phone number. and i was, like, wow, you know? alhow am i getting a phone from him? and they had just dropped him at thborder, and he was gonna lose reception once he crossed the bridge or something.e >> did you call wyer when, when marcos was finally
3:10 am
deported? >> yeah, i told him. >> and what'd the lawyer say? >> he told me, um, "well, we'll just have to file the visa paperwork from the." in mexico. >> there's a law called the permanent bar. that means that if somebody enters the united states, and then they're depord, and then they come back, and then they're deported again, or they leaved again, they're barat's called permanently.yo so, reallydon't have any relief at all. you can't get him back here for a minimum of ten years.ss >> he wants to che border and come back now, even. today. i mean, he talks tme about it, like, every week, and i'm, like, "no. you can't do that.">> eah. that's good that you're telling him that, because... >> but at the same tim it's, like, my kids. like, just the other day, the older one actually told me that, um... sorr >> do you need a kleenex? >> no, i'm good.um he told me, we were going
3:11 am
through pictures, anthere were pictures when we were in mexico, go there to daddy's hod can we stay and not come back here?" and i was, like, "what?"he so... like, you know, like, they know what's going on, you know? they're not stupid.ey ... before, they were babies, and they were infants. now they're getting older, and they're starting to, lik understand things, and it's really hard for me. >> yeah. >> especially, like, when i look at them, and i know, like, how i muiss them, even if they're at school, and think how bad... he is missing their entire life. and it's really hard. it makes me really mad, because i have to move if i want to be with my family, you know what i mean? >> mm-hmm. >> so, technically, it's like an exile. i have to leav and find another country to live, because my husband can't live here. and i just can't wrap my head around tha >> nothing's impossible. he had some brushes with the law. >> yeah. >> ah, he got convicted of possession of stolen property and battery. know him at the time.d i didn't i'm not condoning anything, as
3:12 am
far as anyonhitting a woman. and he kicked her in the leg, and she called the police. >> okay. i'm not questioning whether he's a good man or a bad man. i know if he's married to you, my view, is he's got to be a good guy. >> yea >> but, people make mistakes in life, and marcos made some.go so, we'ra have to show absolute rehabilitation. >> well, he also has, because these are in 2001, so this is 13 years ago. so, he had nothing. >> so, that's actually some good news. it's... in a, in a, in a pile oa news. i mean, that's where the hope is. there is some pe here, okay? >> well, thank you very much for your time.at i really appreit. >> good to see you, elizabeth. >> it was good seeing you. thank you so much. >> all right, be good. >> we'll be in touch. >> (chanting): sí, se puede! síse puede! sí, se puede! >> i've done a lot of public speaking, and i feel pretty comfortable. i mean, when i was in the marine people all the time.in front of i've been continuing to do a lot of advocacy work with hola for undocumented workers, and i've
3:13 am
been asked to speak at this event. >> (chanting): we wantustice! we want justice! >> we, we don't want welfare! we don't want food stamps! we want a fair day's pay for a fair day of work! that's all we want! and we want to be treated with dignity! we want to be treated like men and women that we are, to recognize our humani, not treat us like dogs that die under the trees. we shall keep walking justice together until we realize earth as it is in heaven. (speaks spanis (crowd cheering) >> h, everybody! i ern't believe how much pow we just felt going through that street. this is just awesome! (crowd cheering)e ople on the bus that i came with, they understand injustices, as well. many of them, their families d have been ripped apart, ey have lost loved ones, but they
3:14 am
are sotrong, and they are here today.ha i also havsome suffering, but it's very embarrassing for me to talk about that in front of this group of people that has endured a lot of suffering, also. i'm veteran of both the ohio army national guard and the united states marine corps. (crowd cheering) semper fidelis is the marine corps motto.fu always fai those aren't just words. (crowd cheering)andard. my husband, marcos, was stopped, in 201e was an undocumenteder work he was scooped up and thrown away like trash. he is not trash. a everyone here an and a woman, and you deserve to bete treaas a man and a woman and nothing else. (cro cheering) these injustices are just too great: from here, in the fields of north carolina, all acrossed
3:15 am
the unittates where families are being shredded apart. and what are our elect officials doing? nothing! the only thing i see is injustices and families separated and people working i horrible, horrible, wretched wo n conditions, and that is satisfactory. >> no! ! >> for ten years, i dicated my life to this country. i absolutely love this country. if in command, i will neve surrender the members of my command while they still haveto the meanesist. this is the means to resist, ann we have the meto resist, right here, this is what we're doing! but let's just take a moment of silence and recognize some real heroes: the ople who have separated from their families or really work hard for their family. okay, thanks. (crowd cheering) she cleaned up six flo dt long
3:16 am
♪ her workingay is now benning ♪ he worked all day long he picked up the crops ♪ his swollen fingers are still bleeding. ♪ they work in the offices and serve in the restaurants ♪ his hands keep lifting america. ♪ some came from the south, some came fr afar ♪ tell me, who's the native american? ♪ do you forget the human? and don't you know we are the same? ♪ did you forget you're mysi er, my brother? yodon't you feel we share pain? did you forget the human? w don't you knowshare your pain? ♪ ♪
3:17 am
♪ out of the shadows we're walking together and into e light ♪ out of the shadowsth we're walking to and into the light ♪ estamos unidos marchemos juntos... ♪ estamos unidos marchemos juntos... ♪ ♪ ♪ did you forget the human? don't you know we are the same? ♪ (car horn honking, music fading)
3:18 am
>> i haven't been with my wife, elizabeth, for two years. i don't see her.n' i dosee my, my kids, pelé and rocky. it's been a hard time for me. we're in communication. we skype. it's not the same, because we will not touch. we will not hug. we will not feel., at leaen you see them, you, you know they okay. (train horn blaring) getting back from ited states to mexico, it was starting another life again. even with my family, when i leave mexico, i was a teenager-- different personality, different ideas, different life.re
3:19 am
now, i'm dif. i'm, like, 43. and, and i feel like, when i come back, uh, i feel like they forgot me, or they... because they don't feel me. they don't really haveit attachmentme and anything. we don't talk really close. nothing. and i feel like when somebody die. but now,y younger brother and i become really good friends. >> (humming) >> my younger brother has been cutting my hair for five years. >> hey, hi, brother. hi.do how you '? good?. good you wanna cut my hair? >> mm-hmm. >> he's really having a hardbe lifeuse he cannot hear anything at all. >> (makes buzzing sounds) >> all righty. >> yeah? >> you know, he's a gay person.
3:20 am
his sexuality, especially re in mexico, people ha him right away. >> ha, ha, okay. >> (speaks spanish) >> mm-hmm. >> sometimes, they kick him. and i always have to go and protect him, support him. little bit more. he's my brother, and i really love my brother. >>m-hmm. >> tnk you. >> (speaks spanish) >> so just be careful. all right, see you (whistle blowing) (applause)ni (conversing in s) ¿quién es este? ¿quién es? i always love soccer. in mexico, become to be a soer referee. (shouting inpanish) a referee. it's dangerous to be if you don't have control in the game, sometimes you have
3:21 am
problems with the players. (conversing in spanish d ansometimes, they get mad, andey thet out of control. (conversing in spanish) and some referees, they get kick.av control in the game.od (conversing in spanish) d now, i'm better. i'm in the top referees inhe league where i'm working. (conversing in spanish) i like the adrenaline. w i don't knhy. (conversing in spanish) ¡juegan! (whistle blows, crowd applauds) (train horn blaring in distance) >> "oh, no! we are lost," said thpeople. and the priests and the sisters
3:22 am
began praying. "the pasta will cover our town!" they cried.in and it certaly would have, had strega nona not come down the road, home from hevisit. >> and big anthony! >> what is big anthony doing? (knock at door) >> who's that? oh, no... >> hello! >> okay! >> (growls) what are you doing? >> uh-oh, it's pops! >> what are you doing?k come bhere! (roars playfully) (laughs) >> come on, guys. i'm gonna take you upstairs. >> yeah, let me turn this down. oh, well. >> all right, you guys go upstairs. >> okay. don't eak any mirrors! >> (laughs) what's up, pops? >> (sighs): the usual. law. >> whaa, whaa, whaa. >> lost two appeals, won one trial. so, how's marcos doing? >> well, as far... yeah, so as far as marcos's case is concerned,he lawyer basically told me everything was the same from before, abo how the
3:23 am
chances are remote. e and,ve to wait pretty much ten years, and it's still gonna be hard at the ten-year point. >> what's happening with canada? >> well, nothing right now, because i've got too much stress in my life to deal with looking for a job there, when really i feel like this is gonna work out. >> yeah.y. >> so, i rea i know they say don't put all your eggs in one basket, but i have all my eggs in this bast. like, i feel like it's gonna work, i just don't know when, is the thing. ... >> canada sounds good. how about australia, have you. >> yeah, it's so easy to say that. it's so easy to be, like, "oh, yeah, just movto canada, move to australia where you don't know anyone, don't have a job, don't have a whole bunch of money." like, oh, yeah, it's so simple. >> i, i only menon australia because your sister's already looked it out. >> i looked into a lot of different countries for social work, and what their and it's just, it's liy,rything. like, i can't mentally... i can't take it anymore. i had to stop.
3:24 am
>> okay. >> i had to stop. i just mentally was, like, not taking it. couldn't deal. >> so, are you looking for jobs in the u.s. now? >> no. >> post grad? >> no, no, that's what i'm saying. i'm giving myself until april 15, because i don't know where we're going to be living or anything. and then another things, is, i graduate in may. my g.i. bill is done in may. that means i'm done. >> yeah. >> yeah, so. i have zero idea of what is happening, becau i don't know if we're going to mexico. i don't know if i'm going to be looking for bs in canada. i don't know if i'm going to be looking for jobs here. here.'t know if he's going t i have no idea. so, it's really hard to, like, plo. anything what i'm gonna because i don't know yet. >> youe always had contingencies for everything. i mean, this is the first time you haven't had a contingency. >> yeah.el >> so, what you'reng me is, you're just too stressed to keep doing what you've been doing the past three years >> yep. in (car horn honkg)
3:25 am
i'm getting ready to graduate cleveland state university saturday. woo-hoo! and, um, i actually feel really good about it, because i had some major accomplishments while i was there. i was, um, in the running for class-- college of liberal arts and social sciences-- valedictorian. there was about 30, i think there was about 30 students. maybe a ndful more or a handful less, but i didn't get it. but just the fact that, you know, i s in that pool of students is just awesome to me, especially since i didn't even graduate higschool. i and, um,id, um, the school of social work gave me thes. student' social work bachelor field student of the year award for 2014.
3:26 am
but marcos isn't gonna be here. he just knows what i tell him on the phone. the work i had to do.seen all and so, like, it's... to me,, it's, lich a big accomplishment, but, i mean, to him, it's a big accomplishment for me, too, but just the fact, he doesn't really know the whol scopof it..., that's a little haause i wish he was there. (car horns honking) ("pomp and circumstance" playing) >> yeah, they're doing the graduates first. >> okay. >> hey, bia! wait, do you see me? over here, ma! all the cards, ma! hey, bia >> good afternoon. it's my sincere honor to welcome all of you to the commencement ceremony. i invite each graduate to reflecon those individuals your journey to graduantial on i ask the class of 2014 to stanu and give and of applause tohe
3:27 am
those whlped you reach this mome. (crowd cheering) let me ask you to hold your applause as i talk about elizabeth perez. after earning her g.e.d. in 1998, elizabeth perez served our country for ten years in the ohio national guard and as an active-duty marine. her service s highly decorated, marked by her devoted voluntaris in 2008, she enrolled at cleveland state university to rsue a college education, and she graduates today with her bachelor's degree in social work.te i hat throughout her time at cleveland state, she has beem the y caregiver for her two young sons. toy, on mothers' day, they watch their mom become a college graduate.
3:28 am
join me in thanking these veterans for their service and sacrifice to our country. (train horn blaring) >> bruchim ha-baim. welcome,veryone. blessings to all of you who come here on yom kippur for ourn annual social acecture. >> by show of hands, how many of you immigrated to this country?a keep yous up. how many of your parents immigrated to this country? wow. okay, i think just about every hand in the room is up. i knew that it was a jewish issue, that it, that it was an issue that affected so many americans and so many jews. we are not far-removed from immigration, even if we're not affected by the current immigration laws.t
3:29 am
i know t are, as jews, commanded in the torah to love the stranger. but today's american immigratiom problem one sense to me in terms of policy and numbers. i knew tt 12 million people live in the shadows. i know that they don't have documentation. i know that our immigration system, therefore, is broken.er i know that our bos a mess.ne i know we ed more work visas.eu we need familynification, so immigration reform is big, and today, we're going to hear from elizabeth perez. her family is one of the miions affected in this country by our broken immigration laws. elizabeth inspes me. i want to be like her. she fights for her family and is incredibly courageous. she's so courageous that she's never been to a synagogue before today, but was willing to comeho and speak to us, so you'll join me in welcoming her. >> thanks, joy. >> yeah. (audiee applauds) >> thank you so much for inviting me to be here on the
3:30 am
most holy day, yom kippur. i'm truly honored. my name's elizabet i'm your neighbor. i literally live five minutes green road in cleveland heights. we don't have a huge undocumented immigra population in beachwood, so before i met my husband, i really wasn't aware of a lot of things, probably like a lot of other people in our neighborhood, in our community, aren't aware. to me, it was just a political problem. i didn't really understand the realities. i'm, like, "well, people can apply. j why don't tht apply like everybody else who comes here?" that's what i thought. but not evybody can do that. or, i thought, "well, if somebody is married, and theyca have kids, thestay here, so what's the big deal?" but i was wrong about that, too. it's such an intricate system that there was a lot of things really aren't. were real, but so i got out of the marine corps, i decided to start my new life in california. i had a sister there. i wasn't looking to meet that's when those types oft, but things happen, when you're not looking for it.
3:31 am
whenou're looking for something, you can never find it. when you don't want it, it justd opens the doorits you in the face, like, and that's what my husband did. he opened the door and hit me in my face and was, like, "bam, i'm here." i fell over, i was, like, "oh, i love you!s thisgreat." and when i became pregnant, like most women, i wanted to be arou my mom and my sisters a my cousins who had kids. so, i said to him, "i wanna go back to cleveland, where my family is. so, let's go back there to have the baby." and, i knew his immigration status was, he didn't have papers, but to me, it was just, from what i thought, growing up over here, was, "oh, we just get a lawyer, fill out some papers, give them some money, fillpa some morrs, give them more money, and... it'll all work out." unfortunately, i was tally dead wrong. eventually, he got a job at a janitorial company, and i started going to csu to use my g.i. bill, and we were just living life, you know, doing great stuff. and then i finally ended up
3:32 am
havi our son that january. and, come that june, i was pregnant again. i told marcos about it. he was really excited. i as excited, but i was als little sick at that point, so i went and took a nap with theby he went to work, and then the phone rang. it was mayfield heights police department, and they said, "we have this guy. who is he? where's he going? where do you guys live? what's his social securi number?" i was, like, "i don't know. i don't know what his social is." i was, like, "oh, i don't know where it is, i can't find his wallet." and i realized right away they weren't going to let him out. that's the day... that my home became a house. i had to look at all of his stuff. t i had to look at hthbrush. i had to lay in the bed and smell his pillow, see his shoes at the door, and his clothes. and i had the baby, and i was pregnant, and i'm, like, "what's gonna happen?"in and then, wi month, he was back in mexico. so, we packed our stuff, and we moved to mexico city. i didn't last four months in mexico city. we had no money.
3:33 am
our home didn't even have power. we didn't have a fridge to put it slowly started lessess,ever. and i wouldn't answer the door. i wouldn't answer the phone, because i didn't want anyone toi know i speak e, because then i might be a target. so, after two-and-a-half years, marcos finally had his visa interview, and we were so excited about it, and he was completely died until 2020. fortunately for me, i was introduced to david leopold and veronica dahlberg. i really have hope now. and that's something so different, 'cause i've seen what they can d i've literally witnessed families being able to stay together and not be ripped apart because of the work that they're doing. now, i feel like my husband, marcos, ll be coming home soon. i don't know how, but i have total faith it's gonna work. for me, it's not a question of when, it's a question of if. so, i want tthank everybody for having me here and letting me share with you. and, um, gmar chatimah tova to everybody. (audience applauds)
3:34 am
(horhonks) >> okay, marcos. >> yeah. >> so, the fact that you have this record to deal with make it extremely difficult to bring you back to the united states. t evugh, even though these are misdemeanors. 13 years ago.in 2001, so this is >> right. >> yes. wh i want you to understan we're... you know, how tough this is. >> i understand. >> okay. the flip side of it is, you do have a u.s. citizen wife. yeah. >> you do have u.s. citizen children, and you do have a daughter in california. >> yeah. >> andou do have strong ties to the united states. >> okay. admitted to the united states... >> yes. >> ...and we had this record tot deal with, it wouleep you, necessarily, from getting a green card. you may have to show hardship to your wife, but you could ask for
3:35 am
that kind of dispensatn. in other words, it isn't necessarily a deal killer. but, you're out of the united and so we've got a few different problems that we've got to deal with.fi tht problem is, as you know, somebody who has been deported fm the united states and re-enters the united states illegally is subject to a permanent bar. you can't apply to come back here for ten years after your last departure. >> okay. >> and even then, you'd have to apply for a waiver for the convictions. all right?on any quesso far? >> no.an i . (sighs) no, i'm okay, but... >> yeah, but you need to know, i mean...>> eah, i know what can happen, and, i just... i'm just waiting fosomething... like for a milagro. >> a miracle. >> miracle or something happen or, like... >> okay. >> because, i know what i have,
3:36 am
what i did. i know the laws. i mean, kind of, like, i have to respect and go through the laws, and it can be really hard.rd i know it's >> what's the difference between you today and you in 2001, like 13 years ago? >> oh, no. >> is there a different person i'm dealing with, or am i dealing with...>> o, no. sometimes, i show my face in the mirror, i see my face in thei mirror, any, you know... (hisses) so stupid, man.as i mean, how stupid it that time. now... >> so, thenly other possibility under the law is to simply ask the government to take a close look at your case and see if they would consider paroling you into the united states. but you have to show veryn compelling humanitarasons. >> okay. >> it's t an easy thing, and the reason that we'll pursue this avenue is because we don't have anything else at th
3:37 am
moment. >> no, i understand. >> all right? and so, the worst that can happen is that they'llay no. that's the worst. you're already in mexico. it can't getny worse than them saying no. but at least we've tried.>> hank you. >> now, the hard part is, is to be sitting in mexico and not being able to feel like you have any control over what's going on up here. >> yes. >> i'm sure there's plenty of people running around mexico city wspering in your ear, you know, if you, if you just hire a coyote and come back, then whata are yoing for? right? >> yes.ri >> it's a s crime to cross that border without documentation. especially after you've been deported more than once. >> i'm thinking i have to do something, because i'mer dee. but, i'm here for four years already. i can wait a little bit more, so... >> okay, good. all right, so, what we're gonna do is put together a parole application to ask the government to parole you into
3:38 am
the united states. >> yes. >> what ge you back here is, elizabeth has an amazing history... y h. >> ...in terms of what she's done for our country. >> oh, i know what she did forun the y, for me, for a lot of people. she's a really... >> yeah. do you need a kleenex, or do you need a moment? so, the applicion is gonna emphasize her situation, her situation with the ks, and how much she needs you back here to be in your role as father, as husband, and how mucyour absence is an extreme hardship on her. okay? >> yeah, that's what i want so bad. >> i know you do. it's wt we all want. >> i feel totally confident, we get this application put in, it's gonna be good.on hena be back here. >> you've got amazing fighter on your side. you've got an amazing, an amazing fighter on your side. >> i know. i know. she's really good. i know. >> ♪ though you're not here i fe your love living in me
3:39 am
♪ though you're not here i feel your love living in me ♪ (water splashing)in (marcos si"guantanamera") (whistling) >> you know, when we put the petition in, i have 90 days supposedly to get an answer. ose to these 90 days, and it's like, oof, we're not hearing anything. okay. i have to wait and pray. we don't wanna think about what are we gonna do. but if my petition turned down, and i can't come back to the united states, i've been thinking to have my family in
3:40 am
mexico. they have to live here with me. all righty. >> so, how was work? >> it was good. it was a lot of referees today, and i have just one today. >> yeah. >>orhen next week, i go back my normal schedule. >> yeah? >> so, how's everything withlé pend rocky? >> they're fine. they're in their room watching tv right now. i'm gonna let them watch tv until dinner time, and then that's it. pelé had his piano lesson today. my mom took him. so, i mean the truth is, is, he really doesn't pctice. i should probably have him doing something like track instead of piano. >> oh, okay. well, that's good. was thinking about the petition. >> yeah? >> and, um, i ally expecting everything gets good, and i really wanna be with you. >> i feel like we're, ke, right at the top. we just have to wait at this
3:41 am
point. i've been working with veronica, gathering letters from veterans... i mean, there's not ole, whole lot more to do but just really kinda wait. veronica contacted that lady in washington, dc, who's, you know, trying to find out the status and trying to help push e it through arything like that. so, hopefully we'll hear something from her thicoming- up week. >> you know what, lately i beeni just, like, dr, like, i'm with you and the babies, and now, finally, we get to the normal... our normal life. and, i'm dreaming you're, like, playing with the babies in the park, going to eat something. doing a lot of stuff. but, l's wait. let's see what happens, so... >> the hardest part is because we're so close, and now it's ju a lot harder than befor because it's, like, now it's almost just waiting most every day, like, we could hear
3:42 am
something. >> sometimes, i don't wanna think, what about ifomething is negative, and i don't wanna talk about it, but i'm really in the line, like, i just wanna cross and be with you and the babies.ut >> yeah,ou can't do that. you can't cross. you can't even think about that, because if you do th, one, this whole five years that we've already been waiting would be fonothing. you know, you'd get caught-- i don't wanna take that chance. and besis, it's so much better if you're back, and you can live free, live your life free, and not have to look over your shoulder every three seconds. i don't want you coming back in five years, six years from now. pelé and rocky are, like, innd middle school,hen they see you one morning and then you're gone again because you goted pip at a stop sign or something on your way to work again. and then they have to live through all that trash again. >> yeah, but... >> it's almost, like, let'sth get it out oway now, but at the same time, you know, i never thought it would be this long.
3:43 am
>> the time is killing me, like, waiting and waiting, you know. >> yeah. >> i want somebodys close to me, sleep with me, love me. i love you, flaquita. >> love you, marcos. >> let's see, so... let's pray and have faith, and probably soon something can happen soon. >> just keep yourself occupied, because we're almost done. all right?e >> so justreful, so... >> all right. (skype call ends) >> (sighs) (train horn blaring) ("jile bells" playing) >> it's christmastime, and marcos isn't here yet. we haven't heardnything about
3:44 am
his petition, and i'm feeling totalldepressed about it. i get really, like, d and all that stuff. you know, i can't let anybody see that. no one that's really close to me really knows, but it's really, really wearing on me bad. i'm really tired of this whole situation. be careful with that stuff, lé. >> i'm always careful.pe >> all right, lé. i'm going to plug itn. >> okay, mommy. whoa! lights! lights! did you put the pine cones on yet? >> yeah. >> yay >> put the pine cones on. >> okay. you stay. >> it's not gonna stay like that.it puight there. >> put it right here? >> see? >> that's much better. who made this, mommy? >> i think... you made this! >> yeah. who made this?
3:45 am
♪ i'm mr. snow hey! >> bia made that. go hang it up, pelé. >> okay, mommy. >> put the balls on. put them down over here. >> okay, mommy. this present is for mommy! happy christmas, mom! >> who's this one for?t >> te's for mommy. >> who's this one for? >> daddy.t >> who's te for? >> bia. >> what about daddy? what are you gonna get daddy for christmas? >> i don't know. i forgot... wait a second! i have an idea! >> what? >> baby jesus! ♪ oh, little baby jesus (laughs) happy christmas, mom! >> thanks, pelé! what is it? (gasps): what'd you get me? >> pine cones.ga >>s) you got me pine cones?! (pelé laughs) you're a pine cone. bring daddy home now.ase, >> why are you making jokes, pelé? >> i'm not making jokes. >> so you wanted to ask jesus to bring daddy home? >> i said now.in
3:46 am
(car horn ho (music playing on radio) >> hello? >> hello. >> hey, david leopold! how's it going? >> um, listen. i gotta talk to you about something. um, and, this is a very difficult call. i, i got. i got a notification this morning from ice. >> yeah? >> that they denied our petition. >> you're kidding. >> hello? >> you're kidding. >> no, i'm not kidding. d they, they, thied the petition, they basically... it's a very short letter, and it says that they weighed the equities, but they're not able to grant parole at this point. um... >> wait, are you serious or are you joking with me? >> no, no. i'm not, i'm not joking. i'm, i'm serious. totally serious. >> no, y're... you're joking
3:47 am
with me, right? >> elizabeth. i would not joke about something like this. i'm totally serious. i'm sorry, but i am totally serious. >> wait. are you telling me they actually denied the petition? >> um, yeah.ie they dit. and it was denied apparently on. february 6 so... >> like, you're telling me righ now that tnied the petition. right? that's what you're telling me? like, seriouy? like, they seriously denied it? >> they denied it, yes. i am not joking about this. i, i would never, ever joke about something like this.he yes,denied it. and that doesn't mean that there may not be other remedies, but you need to know, and i wanted marcos to know, so i'm gonna, i'm gonna put it in writing, and this is what i think, okay? um, i would like to, to arrange a meeting. i'd like to get together so that we can go over exact what's gone on here, and extly what the, what the options are. um... okay?
3:48 am
>> no, you gotta be joking me right now. like, i totally, totally am not hearing this. like, they totally did noteny this petition. i an, you really gotta be joking right now. likei'm so pissed right now. i'm really pissed. i really just... whoever denied the petitiwant them to come to my house for five minutes. i wanna kill them. i'm gonna kill them. seriously, seriously dtheiously, petition. for what? what was their actual reason why they denied it? >> i mean, they did say that they recognize the evidence that cewe presented, but on a b, they denied it. um, i mean, my preference would be, of course, to tell you in person. but i needed you to know right away. i, i need marcos to know. okay? >> mmm. >> tell you what, um, take care driving. please give me a call when you get home, okay? all right. (marcos's car engineevving) >> (groans)
3:49 am
elizabeth called me to give me the bad news about mype tition get denied. but i was expecting to get positive news, because we are really beinglanning our life for the future to be together. so, it was really a sad day. i start feeling like i don't wanna talk with nobody. i just wanna be inside, but i start thinking, "you know what? you have to accept it, marcos. life is like that. it's the way how it is, and it's real." so, i have to goorward. i fully think now... i still can't have my family, my kids, everything. why not? so, now i'm really thinking, like, we're gonna get together pretty soon in mexico. (sighs) (enginrevs)
3:50 am
(car horn honking in distance) >> hey, elizabeth. so good to see you. >> you, too. >> the last ti we talked, it was a pretty tough conversation. >> yep. >> what we tried to do, you know, when we got in this, you said to me that if you don't try woit, if you don't try, yot know that you tried everything. you have done everything. >> no. i cannot say that. >> well... >> i refuse to say that, 'cause he not here. >> but you have done everything so far-- so far. it doesn't mean you won't coinue to do things. let's talk about where we're going to go from here. >> okay. >> okay? um, continuing to pursue this on capitol hill with, with ohio senators. but also, there's been a change in your, in your status. >> mm-hmm. >> right? from the veterans administration. >> well, they increased myan ety rating, my service-connected percentage, to
3:51 am
80%. and it was at 30. >> okay. disa... disability rating. >> yeah. you could use that word. >> okay.i wellan, it's important, not because... i don't think anybody who knows you is ever y gonna claim th, you've stood in any disability. your strength eaks for itself. >> yeah, and, what they did was, they cnged my anxiety rating h a much higher level, wh ended up bringing the entire percentage up. >> all right. >> and... although, i mean, it's reallyrd clear, even in my rethat, um, although it's, you know, started from when i was in the mari corps, but that this entire situation has agitated it up to that level. >> okay. >> i feel like that could be a strong player in this reconsideration. consideration.king for >> mm-hmm. >> pointing out that in fact your, you know, sability
3:52 am
rating has increased as a resula of tiety related to this deportation and this separation from marcos, and the children, aneverything you're dealin with. >> yeah. >> this is clearly affecting yo life. but you know what? here's the thing. i'm gonna need you and marcoste to both be invin this, too. >> it's not so easy, though. >> no, i know. i know. but, you take your mental break, but you've gottayou know, you've gotta get back to where you were.e and, it's easy for say that, i know, but... >> it's been five years. i'm not gonna lose my marriage over this fight. my marriage could be in crumbles. like, this is ridiculous. i'm t going to keep fighting this and then look back and it's been nine years. you know?av >> well, we alsoto face the very realistic possibility that, you know, at some point, we have to go to another plan. and, legally speaking, that other plan, at this point, is, is, you know, waiting for those
3:53 am
him back.s to pass and bringing >> i'm not waiting five years. >> okay. thbut i want to be honest >> this whole thing isthing. crap. they wanna have this permanent bar for ten years.'s th huge chunk of time. so, when he comes back, i'll be in my 40s. my sons will be ten and ne-- pretty much got one foot out the door already. and that's whewe're gonna start our life together? everybody says the system isbr en, and then in the meantime, my family is paying for this broken system. it's ridiculous. (car horns honking) >> you know we've been working with elizabeth on her case. you know her husband was deported in 2010. i hent everyone to know that petition was denied to bring her husband back. so, what this means is, are we just gonna give up? >> no.
3:54 am
>> okay, are we gonna leave it h,like that and just say, t was denied. too bad"? >> no. w >> okay, so whgotta do is, we're gonna do a march. (audience applauds) arand i want elizabeth to from you guys, because she's counting on us. >> mm-hmm. t s is the only hope. what did the lawyer say when you talked to him? fi>> he said i need to wai more years, and then we can apply to get him back. >> so, the only hope elizabethus has right now is witnd hola. but, it's nna be hard. so please, everybody, we gotta give it all we got.ay on, the reason why is because if the media comes on may 4, it's gonna be in the papers, hopefully, on cinco de mayo. and the people can see, cinco de mayo, while you're enjoying your margaritas and your sombrero, think about all the people init our commwho are suffering with this broken immigration system. just conmplate that. and so, for this march for elizabeth, because it's such a tough case, we're gonna need double the people. okay, everybody raise your hand, who's gonna participate in this
3:55 am
marcfor them. okay. >> una fuerte aplaus para todos y gracias.>> hank you. (audience applauds) okay. 6:00 a.m. maybe-- can we do 7:00? yeah, okay. 7:00. (lauing) so, let's make sure that we bring elizabeth's husband back on may 4. ¿sí? >> sí. >> okay. ay, esto fue muy débil. that was weak! (laughing) let's make sure we get elizabeth's husband back. >> (more loudly): ¡sí! >> are we gonna wait five years? >> no! (people converng in spanish) >> gracias a todos por estar aquí hoy. thank you to everybo for being here today. we need a miracle. >> yeah! >> and so we're gonna sacrifice a little bit by walking the 20 t miles and hot our pleas are heard. >> woo-hoo! (drums beating) t >> oka first rule is, we're gonna walk together, not u
3:56 am
separate, becaus i'm always the last one, and i don't want to be, like, all the way in theack. so, elizabeth, you want to say some words? >> okay. >> elizabeth! whoo! >> okay. my husband, marcos, is on the phone, and that's hoi live my life, with him on my side but at the phone. i wanna say thank you to every single person here. thank you. thank you, thank you to come out here to help for my family, too. yo se que tienen que... i was really down after marcos's parole was dend. i know a lot of people are missing work... but i'm back, and we are ready i don't like words, i like action. thank you to hola. hahola is the only reason hope for my family. the only reason i feel my husband gonna come home is solo hola. th okay, well, let's get o sidewalk and get in formation. >> we have david leopold, the laer is out here. my mom's here.
3:57 am
my mom's ready to walk 21 miles. >> elizabeth, we've got to turn left. >> my cousin davey flew in from uh just to come to this march. >> elizabeth, we gotta follow the sign for 20. >> the weather is beautiful out here. there is a chance of thunderstorms, but i have total faitthat we're gonna make it we got almost 100 hola warriors organized, ready to do this march from mentor, ohio, to st. casimir's to ask ourady of czestochowa to bring my family back.y well, n't my husband be here? we're in this to win this. that'sow i feel. it's too long. it's five years. it's way too much time. >> (anting): sí se puede. sí se puede.sí e puede. >> people have brought their kids out here and have babyy' strollers, and tre ready to walk. this walk is gonna take us all day long, and i'm very humbled and proud of all of the mexican community that's out here. i've been there for their famil when it threat of a deportation, and those families
3:58 am
are out here today. >> yes, we can! >> we're gonna draw attention to my family anget people in power to bring marcos home. (man speaking spanish)(c wd cheering) it's getting darker out here. rain clos are forming above us. we felt a little light drizzle,e but we can hear the s of st. casimir's ringing, and we are gonna make it. >> yes, we can. yes, we can. yes, we can. >> i love you, dada. >> are you happy? >> yeah. daddy, why are you not here now? i want you to be here now, now, now. >> one day we're gonna be together! g that's td part. >> i miss you. i want you to come back now. >> pel just remember daddy loves you. i miss you, pelé. i wanna, i wanna, i wanna go back and go drop you in the school and go after school and go play with you. >> mm-hmm. >> how do you feel when you seef
3:59 am
yoends with, with their dads? how do you feel? >> huh?oh their dads are i. >> oh, really? >> you are the only dad who's in mexico. >> how do you feel about, like, you're there, and i'm here? >> bad. hate it. why is your daddy in mexico, and i'm in ohio? that's bad. very, very, very bad. >> don't play with your food, pelé.he >> other kids have t dad. (crying): but i don't have my dad. >> (crying): mommy!. mmy! i want daddy! (crying) daddy! >> pelé. we will be together, pelé. i'm gonna see you so much. >> daddy!
4:00 am
♪ (car horns hking) ♪ (men singing in spanish) (men singing in spanish) >> what do you feel like? what do you want to eat? >> i want those tales from that guy who puts the whole drumstick in the tamale. >> mm-hmm. >> you know who i'm lking about? >> yeah. >> by your grandma's? we gotta go over there. >> yeah, let's go. just let, um, i gotta go take a shower. >> oh, okay. >> beforwe go there.
4:01 am
>> oh, okay. and... yeah. oh, tomorrow, before i forget,li i, we gotta go play soccer. i gotta go play soccer. you wanna go with me? >> yeah. i'm not gonna stay here by myself! >> yeah. how about, like, if you wanna golike, to the pyramids? >> or dancing? >> go dancing. >> or take, or take me out to eat? >> yeah. >> on a date? >> yeah. we can go.movies? we can go out with my sister. >> no, but... i there's been somethieed to tell you. um, i'm here in mexico, i've been here for a little while, and i just found out me and marcos are having anothebaby. (groans) i was he a little while ago, s and i hadn'tn marcos in almost two years, and... we had so much fun. we did not plan for this to happen at all, but we didn't
4:02 am
prevent from ito happen, either. but, to be totally honest, at the end of the d, i was completely shocked that, you know, this is real, that we're ally having another baby and, um, it changes a lot of things. we got a whole 'nother life to think about. it's almost like a second chance. is can have this baby and it together. i'm gonna stay in cleveland and have the baby there, for insurance purposes. and then, i'm really, really hoping marcos can come back before this baby's born.t, but if he's nohen we have ahi whole lot to tnk about. it feels so weird to be here without pelé and rocky. >> yes. >> so, by the time this baby is born, no matter whatif i gottat move, if you're no the united states, i'm coming toco mexibecause there's no way i'm having another baby by myself. by myself, and i'm definitelyll not doing it by myself again. >> mm-hmm.
4:03 am
>> the truth of the matter is, is that when we come here,yo really gotta understand how meit is with them all the like, long-term. yoknow what i mean? >> yeah. >> and then, and then i... talking about that depending onn where we're golive, where we're gonna move. t i don't wanna stay in thatent, apartment with pelé, rocky, and another baby, where every timeta we goto outside, one of us has to go outside th them, really you. so, um, it's something youta really gotreally, really... i know it's hard, because you're not with tm all the time, but you gotta think of it in that angle, too. like, more realistic. yeah.st, like, it's so simple. >> it's not as simple as that. it's actually kinda complicated. with them. >> yeah. m >> in, if we move to mexico, i mean, i'm hoping that's not what happens, but if that's what happens... >> i like that picture. >> yeah.
4:04 am
>> nice picture.al >> we got to really, really have a plan. you know, we're nojust gonna come down here and throw pelé ih whateverl and be, like, "oh, he's a big boy, he can figure it out." no, i don't wanna do that. i wanna find something that's gonna be comfortable for them, too. not just, "oh, they're kids. they can figure it out on their own. kidsre strong. i had to figure stuff i out when i was young." that's what they call the dinosaur mentality. ik, i wanna do for them... for me, them is my priorityng about movio mexico. not us and what we want. >> it's really hard think about. >> oh, shoot. these are the pictures of the 43 students that disappeared.ea >> y >> that's what all of these are r? >> yeah. yeah. >> that's azy. they still don't know what happened to th? >> no.an >> so, what do you wto do now? >> what do you feel like? you know, elizabeth, the baby's going to be here next year.ou
4:05 am
whenlanning to come to mexico? i bet you it's going to be until june next year, july or more.d 's gonna extend a little, little, and then it's going to be the same thing all the time. "wait for me." two years. "wait for me." three years. and i'm in jail.do ou know how it feels? why we gotta be like that? rcent already.th you hundred five years, going for six years. what are you gonna do, wait another four, five years? >> yeah, but marcos, i... just stop, like, "i'm tell you this, this, this, this, and that." i was on... i keep telling you. i'm on the same thing. i'm going through the same crap as you. it's not like i'm sitting here, "okay, marcos. wait three months so i can sit here in america and eat pancakes all (bleep) day." i'm on the same damn thing as you, where i feel so bad, "oh, this is about to happen. he's about to come home." (sighs) you're not the only one waiting, being good and all that crap. >> i don't care.ap! i want family. really, i mean, that's what i want. i want somebody's close to me,
4:06 am
sleep with me, love me. like those, those, those... n i.ody told me, "i love you," or how much i want to ben with you life except pelé and rocky. so, when you don't catch all the sts, like, i'm not innocen i'm not stupid. i'm not the king.be i'm not th one. but i'm one of the few... i want to have a family, to be responsible, to be a dad, to be next to you. at's what i want. i don't care anymore anything. if you wanna be in australia, wherever, let's do it. you wanna wait somewhere? let's do it. >> mm-hmm. >> i don't care. you know time kills everytng? you're gonna be better, you go down another road. what's the problem, man? what's the problem? i know that feeling already. i don't wanna get old and not having nobody, my kids alreadyuf grown and all the no. so, let's see next year, are wet together, we nether, or i
4:07 am
don't know. >> no. ♪ (woman singing in spanish) (woman singing in spanish) >> it's gonna be a long day toy, because congressman j jordan is doing free haircuts
4:08 am
for veterans on veterans' day. so, my quest to bring marcos ck here is taking me to a whole 'nother place, and sometimes i question, like, if it's even worth it. i don't care. i have to push myself and do it, ghwhich is what i'm doing now. jordan is actually a tea partier. so, uh... normally they're more not for imgration or anything that has to do with it at all. a lot of people have a vision that democrats are more compassionate or helpful, but that's a bunch of crap. it's not true at all. and republicans, supposedly everyone thinks they're justsu whitemacists or something, but a lot of them have helped with so many cases to bring... make sure undocumented immigrants have not been deported and have stepped in to
4:09 am
stop it. i don't really care. one is it? i just know that congressman jordan might be a tea partier. he's still also a human being. i'm just gonna talk to him like, "what if i was your daughter?" i don't want a damn haircut. i want my husband home. (train horn blaring) well, here we are, parking spots and all. whew, all right. hopefully he's here, and hahopefully they do women'. maybe he'll just think i'm a veteran's spouse and not an actual veteran, because i'm ama wo down those stairs. >> well, we got one more here somewhere... >> hey. number 21? >> you want me to cut your hair? >> yeah-- ready for me? >> i've never cut a woman's hair before. >> are you for real?
4:10 am
>> i'm serious. never, ever.re >> how do we gethaircuts? >> yeah, that, that might not be a good idea. >> really? never, ever. >> how about a shave? >> no. >> thanks for being honest. >> yeah. absolutely, no problem. >> you're the first lady we've had. >> really? >> you serve in, in the army? marine corps? what... navy? >> both, army and marine corps. >> yeah. >> you remember meeting me in your office in, in dc? with veronica? >> oh!as >>year? >> that's right. sure, that's why. yes, i do. >> yeah, and you came in and talked to us personally.ea >> >> and i remember at that time, i was getting ready to put in a petition for my husband... yos it coming back to you? >> mm-hmm.ni >> well, it was deed. >> and were you, did we meet with you in norwalk? >> ah, nope. haven't been in norwalk. >> okay, so you, you were in our office in dc. >> yeah, mm-hmm. >> yeah, okay. t >> welt's a little separate than what i wanted to talk to you about. >> okay.yo >> acan see... >> yeah? >> i'm kind of in a hurry... >> yeah.nd >> ...for my huso get back here. >> yeah. >> so, um, i know we talkedit aboulike, a year-and-a-
4:11 am
half ago, or about a year ago, but i'm hoping, i'm gonna be putting in new application, and so i'm hoping maybe you can help me with it. >> okay. >> endorse it, help me get it... >> and, your husband is in... been sent to... >> mexico. b >>ack to mexico, right. right, okay. >> been almost six years. >> yeah. >> that's how long this struggle has been going on. >> yeah.>> e can apply in 2020. >> okay. >> but, i need him back here, like, yesterday. >> yea >> and now we're having another baby. and i really, really need somebody.. >> mm-hmm. >> ...and i'm hoping it's you, to help me to get him back here because i get so mp service. >> okay. we'll, we'll, we'll look at it. >> maybe he'll dsomething to help marcos. maybe not. >> is there certain paperwork that you have to glee us, or or... we got all the information we need, for our office to look at? >> well, i can get it to y, because i'm gonna file a new humanitarian visa, because the last one... i'm glad i came. i need to keep trying. .you can refile another o >> we gotta look at the whole history and look at the file... >> you're looking at a lot of history. >> yeah, understand. and we're looking at someone
4:12 am
who served our country, and we certainly appreciate that. so, we'll take a look at it.ef >> and i would ditely appreciate that a lot more than a haircut. >> yeah. o >>y? i understand. thank you so much. >> nice to meet you, by the way. i'm gonna steal a doughnut. >> i'm dick ar. >> oh! (dog barking) >> women service members mustim work three as hard to be seen as equal to our male counterparts. "good afternoon, congressman jordan and staff. last week, i read an article calling for ohio veterans to come get a haircut paid for by the congreman. unfortunately, the article did not state that it was a male-only barber, d women vets would not be able to get a cut. i felt that ever-too-familiar sting of a reality that a congress member, who represents an entire ar of people, only represents whom they choose-- in this case, male veterans. this is not a simple mistake, but reflects the fact that our sacrifices are not considered equal, whether it's subconsciously or not.er yey, i traveled three hours from cleveland to
4:13 am
bluffton.e like all of terans there, i did not go for the free haircut. i went for an opportunity tosp k to the congressman about an issue: my husband who was deported in 2010. however, i feel disrespected nat my decade of service even worth a haircut because i'm a woman. t it is not ev cut, it's the blatant disregard of an entire group of veterans' sacrifices. i almost did not say anying, since i want the congressman to help me with my husband's return to our family, yet i am still a marine and still live by those values which compel me to speak above everything else. yesterday's event was wrong andr arded the service of over two million veterans, the amount of female vets in e u.s. i hope that in the future, veterans' events will be inclusive of all, not just what some think a veteran is. i will be sending you a copy of my petition for my husband in the next week for your review. i hope that you can find a way to advocate for this veterannd my family. thank you for your time in this matter.
4:14 am
feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns." send. (mouse clicks) (door opening) >> mom. it's... noisy upstairs. >> get your ass upstairs, boy. >> yeah. >> i swear to god. i am really pissed off at you. rocky! >> no! >> get your butt upstairs now! and i am not telling you again! up there now! you are out of control! get up there and sit down! quiet! (train horn blaring) i am currently in my third trimester, and you know how people say girls are different?e thisancy has been way different than the last two, but really, the weird thing is, because of everything that's going on with marcos, i'm so
4:15 am
tanxious all the time abos whole situation, you know, when the baby's gonna be born being the deadline. or going our separate ways if wo weren't gonna work and be together. so, i've got less than two months, and then she'll be here. (by fussing) >> hey! >> hey, dora! what's going on? how are yo >> pretty good. >> congratulations on the cihip! >> thank you. how's it feel? >> it feels great. thank you, come on in. >> sure. >> it was amazing, because that same court was gonna decide whether i was deported or stay. >> yeah. >> so, it was amazing walking out of there five years later,a
4:16 am
beins. citizen. >> in the same building. >> the same building. >> i'm so happy for you. >> how's marcos's case going?>> t's going. i mean, it's just, it's, um,'s that battle, too. like, the same thing i'm saying. it's, like, how much, how many hoops do you have to jump through, you know, for your family to be together?, liput in a visa application for him for the humanitarian parole last year. you know, it was denied. i put in another one this year, it was denied. i just mailed in another one again. i'm, like, i'm just gonna keep sending them. >> do you think you would go back to mexico if they deniedin it a >> i don't think i have a choice anymore.if keep staying here, and he keeps staying there, then it's not gonna work. not that neither one of us would want it to, but it's like already, this summer's gonna be six years. >> uh-huh. >> so, it's, like, i feel like,' if t not gonna approve it, then i, i need to move there. >> yep. so, basically in order to save your family...
4:17 am
>> yeah. yeah. have to move. that's, that's what i think. and my husband's always been pressuring me a lot, like, i t gotta more. >> uh-huh. >> but i don't want to move to mexico city. i told himhat. i don't wanna live there. you hear, like, the travel department putting out warnings right for whermy husband lives, and then he makes me paranoid about not wanting me to speak english on the street, because it's a target, and he's been, you know, like, on the t bus, you knoy... people come on and rob the entire bus when he's been on the bus a couple of times. i don't wanna worry about my kids walking home from school, somebody, like, takes them. and i don't know if, like, sometimes i don't know if i,go likeoo much into that, like, thinking that, or it's really... i feel like it's aw? valid worry, you kno >> i think it is, because if i go down there for two or three weeks,e watch out for the same things. like, we're just down there on vacation, um, and we're always watching. like, son, i'll be, like, "shh, don't sp..." i'll be, like, the same way. >> yeah?oi >> because i'm par
4:18 am
because they are. there's people that are just watching, and they do things. >> yea >> the danger and the kidnappings and all of that are out of hand. they'll kill you for 20 pesos down there. >> jeez. n that even two dollars. >> i think marcos loves his kids so much, and he's afraid, be.use he sees how things a >> yeah. >> i mean, if you were justca me lived there your whole life, i think they wouldn't care about you. but, for you to be american and go down there... >> mm-hmm. >> you're, like he says, target right away. for somebody like me or the kid who were rai here, we're a target, because they feel like, "oh, they have more family in the s. we can kidnap them and get money." >> so, you agree with me, like, you would feel the same way, like, you don't know if you want to take your kids there, too. >> no, i... well... (sehs, clears throat): when
4:19 am
was almost deported, when luis was almost deported, i w the same way. like, i would flip-flop d be, like, "well, we can just... we can make it work." >> yeah. >> but no. you just don't have that security. my sister, when i went last time, she was, like, "you don't hold himike this, dora, because they can slip, they n just slip him right out. you hold him like this.tr if theto pull him from you, you, it'll be harder for them to snatch him." >> wow. i get really nervous, like, if something happened to my kids. like i think any woman does. i >> if you limexico city, you're basically putting your whole family at risk., it's, liking a broken here, but taking your.g with it taking your entire family and putting it at risk in a really dangerous place. that's a tough sit... that's a tough, tough decision. >> i feel like... you know, something i think about a lot is, like, you bel... you know,
4:20 am
you're spiritual, right? >> yeah. >> like, god doesn't care, like, where you're at.po it's just, the most ant thing is, like, having your family unit and being together, rit? >> uh-huh. >> so, sometimes i feel like, by me staying here, am i, le, withholding from our family unit byot going there? that's something, like, i struggle with, like, internallya you know what i'm ng? >> i think, at the, in the long run, you just gotta do whatever you feel is best for your family and just try it. because you guys have to be together. you've struggled too much on your own, and i think youse e that. you're in a tough, tough situation. >> well, i'm glad you're out of yours, dora. >> yeah. c but itzy how i had to become a u.s. citizen, and you're already a u.s. citizen, and a marine. you still have to puthis big fight. >> yeah. ♪
4:21 am
>> hello?'m >>ight here! >> oh, look at you! >> yup, yup.or >> see gorgey e? >> wow. she's just getting big. >> yeah. she got, she got big fast, huh? (marcos calls to baby) >> so, um... >> yeah? >> we got a lot to talk about today. >> mm-hmm. >> you've talked to all the schools? >> yep. >> on that whole list that we had?ve so today we o decide before we get off this phone call, like, are we staying here for an extra year? are we gonna come there? >> like right now, i want to get prepared, get my g.e.d., have it all sefor the next year. and see if i can get a job where i cahave medical and you guy can move here to mexico nextar >> i remember us talking about, i'm always gonna have a reason, and it's gonna be this
4:22 am
many months until we come there, and now i feel like i wanna say the same thing to you, too. if we stay here another year, i mean, part of me feels like iay want to, for selfish reasons, like, because, you know, the kids' school and, like, we're comfortable with, like, the insurance and all that type of stuff. and then another part of me isan like, i just have a decision, whatever we're doing, like, we do something. you're here or we're there. like, i hate this, like, limbo stuff. and we're just gonna be, like, limbo for another year. and now, i got the v.a. pension, so we have a better opportunity make it moving there. and i feel like you just flip-flop on it a lot, t. you know, it just kinda makes me wonder, like, with this year, because coming from you, it really surpred me. >> yes. >> so let me a you this. >> what? >> you want me to move there, right? i'not talking about the babies. i'm talking about us.
4:23 am
>>es. yes, elizabeth. for you... we are family, elizabeth. i don't want to just say yes for you-- for everybody. >> i know for everody, but i'm not talking about just our family. i'm talking about us.el >> yesabeth. family. >> really? >> we are family.e werried, right? >> yeah, i mean, i feel that way. but i just gotta throw it outau there, b we're going on six years, and this isn't normal. so, we have to focus on, lik what is our plan, like, because i don't want it to be nine yearn and then all of a sut's like, "oh, well it's been nine years already, and..." >> yeah. >> i don't want, um, you know, something crazy to happen. >> i love you.ea >> ten, and then you finally come back here, and we're finally living together, and we've been married for, like, 12 years and livingth together for one o. you know? you're gonna have, like, you know, you got your whole family here, and you're there by yourself. you gotta get prepared for that, too, marcos. because when we come there,e
4:24 am
weming there. >> yeah. >> you know, it's, it's your, thway you're living now, b yourself, is gonna change. i know you're gonna be happy about it, t i mean, you gotta recognize, too, like, next year, we're coming there. (baby fussing, marcos exhales) >> ready, set, go. >> no. >> come on, pelé. >> the pine cone game.in >> are we to mexico? am i not going to mexico? the trutof the matter is, is, i'm going completely, completely insane. come here. re of this i can take by myself. >> you want to play rock, paper, scissors? >> it's, like, we can't continue doing this for another three years, or a little more than three years. and then, even sti, in three years, there's a huge chance it might not even get approved, period. i mean, he might have to live in mexico forever. we don't know anything. it's, like, the,he future is this big, huge unknown.
4:25 am
>> i had paper. you had scissors. i am not enjoying this walk. mommy... (grunts) >> get up right now! you are really making me m. you need to stop it right now. do you understand me? >> (screaming)>> ou stop it. >> (screaming) >> gimme that. you are miehaving. don't start crying. look at me right now. look at me right now. >> (wails) >> stop it, right now. >> (scres) >> stop. stop it right now. look at me. you are misbehaving. you need to stop, and you're doing it on purpose. don't start playing games. stop. look at me. do not start playing games. you will... look at me.an you will hold my do you understand me? >> (wailing) >> you will not say a word do you got it? >> (wailing) >> nope, shh-- quiet.
4:26 am
i'm gonnsqueeze it every time you cry. no crying. shh, shh. quiet. shh. hey! i said no crying. >> i'm trying. >> that doesn't matter. ♪ (sniffles) (sighs and sniffles) (sighs) here we are again. oh, mary, i don't know how much more of this i can take. please, please, please. (sniffles)
4:27 am
our father, who art in heaven, halled be thy name. thy kingdom come, thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our trespasses.or weve those who trespass against us. lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. amen. hail mary, full of grace, the lord is with thee. blessed art th amongst women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, jesus. prly mary, mother of god, for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death. amen. please, mary. i really need him to cckk here. home. w i'll do whatever yt. whatever you guys want but please, can this happen? soon i just can't take it anymore. i try to have so much faith like it's gonna work, and i believe in you and everything.
4:28 am
it's just really weighing on me. please. i trust you for everything. i love you. amen. father, son, holy spirit. amen. (sighs, sniffles) ♪ ha >> ♪ you, oh, dear lord for the many blessings that you always give mer ♪ thank you for yve and your holy spirit that is always near me ♪ while down on my kneesun i feel srthy ♪ and i cry i'm sorry ♪ and my soul rejoices giving you the glory
4:29 am
for l you've done for me ♪n (train haring) >> i'm exhausted. i really hope this works. >> yeah. >> i know you put a lot into this, and.. >> this a lot of sacrifice on a lot of people's part. my parents, you, hilda, stephanie. very costly, and i'm really hoping that it works and marcos comes home. >> won't that be amazing if they let him in? >> yeah. >> but wait, you didn't get him a ticket back, so what are you? gonna >> drive. >> drive? how? >> yeah. we would drive he. so, here we are in mcallen, texas, and we're in mcallen, texas, for one reason, 'causeos we're gonna bring maome. take a couple of days. we're gonna do it in awa different than how we've been attempting the humanitarian parole before. mexican consulate.ut to the
4:30 am
>> what we've been doing is sending it to ice, and it's five times i've sent it to them,'s but een denied. it does seem like a long shot. i spoke to a lawyer, and she informed me we can go to the u.s.-mexican border, marcos would have to come up with theen petition, and prit to border patrol, and border patrol would then have the discretion to let him comento the country or, of course, deny the petition. ik it'sa shot in the dark. but if there's a chance for marcos to come home, i want to do it. me and veronica looked it up,ol and there's not a whlot of information about, can this , we're kind of out on a little bit of a limb with this attempt. >> i really hope they let him in. they've got to do the right thg and let him in. >> my daughter simply fell in love with a man in america, and thgovernment told her that they needed their approval for him to live with her. i find that very bizarre. >> where's our car at? d the only thing that anying,
4:31 am
father asks of a son-in-law is, doou love the children? and he's a great lover of his children. and the separation i have seen over the past six years has not worked well for the family. now we're down at border patrol, trying to convince them to let marcos into the country. >> so, where are we going now? >> we gotta go tthe car rental place. >> then we'll have a little meing tonight to discuss o plans. >> yeah. >> i just got a call this morning from the mexican consulate here in mcallen, texas, and it's horrible. horrible news. they reached out to the border patrol, and were told that if marcos shows up at t checkpoint so that we could submit his petition, that hear will bsted and detained
4:32 am
and held for up to two years. this is shocking, because we were told that we could do this. it's unbelievable. this could have been a disaster. i hate to have to give him the news, though. u know what i mean? like... >> yeah, yeah.ah ye >> how do you think he's gonna take it? >> i don't know. i don't know. >> it'a super-cruel, harsh punishment. >> he's gonna be upset, but he's gonna be so happy to, like, see everybody at the same time. it's gonna be really important for him to see my dad. >> yeah. really, really, really, veronica, that's the big thing. >> i know. take it easy. don't stress too much. >> (exhales) okay, yo puedo entrar? can i go in now? sí? yes? >> hi, veronica. >> hola.ás ¿cómo est >> how are you? >> good. i'm so sorry. marcos... >> no, that's... >> we did not get the petition approved. we did not get it apoved. >> it's okay. >> i'm sorry. >> mm.s okay. >> hello!
4:33 am
>> wt's up? (both laughing) i missed you so much. >> mm. >> man, look at you. you look so good. >> i changed my... >> i think no ladies are allowed in here. >> i changed my shirt, like million times,cause it's so hot. >> yeah. >> marcos. >> (laughing) he what's up? >> i love you. i love you. >> ah, my suegra. my mother-in-law. wow. it's incredible she's here.mb i re, she cook for me and give me all the attention. she's a really nice person anyway, thanks for everything. >> hey. >> so what's up, suegro? long time i wanna see yo >> so, you been working at all? >> yeah. i'm so happy to see myn. father-in-law, joh >> come, come with me. >> i know he's really happy to see me.
4:34 am
>> you know, be nice for you to get back when we can still pick up a hammer together. >> yeah, sure.av wea really good time talking about when we worked together.ca but see he's started getting older, and he always made me laugh. >> ...and they went and broke the real estate market... >> he's a really nice guy, and i love him so much. >> oh, wow. you're so cute! >> she's just like me. >> no. what's up? you know who i am? no? 'cause you're looking at me like that, yeah? you are smiling? where's your smilei' m really excited to see my daughter georgia for the first time. >> she's gonna eat your finger. >> she's really tiny.na emotioy, it's kind of complicated, because i have another daughter in california. she's 20 years old. and now i haveeorgia, my new baby. it remind me how depressed i get sometimes thinking about what i want for my first daughter,da
4:35 am
y. i have all these dreams, all these goals to grow, like, a family for her. she looks exactly like me. now georgia, she's leang me, getting back to united states. >>he looks like me. it's difficult to liveht? but i know, one day, w beamily. together.ig >> all, what time's your flight at? >> i gotta be there early. >> so, we're gonna go up to thed and cross the bridge, and then you've got your taxi coming to take you to the airport. >> yeah. progresso, mico, is a border town. it's one of the toughest and dangerous states in mexico. >> i'm really sorry this didn't work. but at least we tried.be >> after eliza leave and go back to united states, i wanna get out of here, take my flit,o and go back to mexicty. >> okay. well, i think we're... gonna go straight now. yeah. >> and i'll call you tonight.
4:36 am
i'll see you. okay?ou >> see y okay? i love you.lf >> take care of yo i love you. don't rget that. mm. next time i see you, pelé and rocky will be bouncing all over the place. >> yeah. >> say bye to miss georgia. >> ah. >> all right, love you. take ce. all right. oh, my gosh. ♪ , >> ♪ thank y, dear lord for the many blessings that you always give me ♪ (car horns honking) (man speaking spanish on radio)
4:37 am
>> as you know, i've been i've been stressful and anxious being away from my family. that's why i decide to join this holistic wellness center. one of the activities i did there is zumba dancing. ♪ (woman giving instructions in spanish) >> it refreshes my brain. it moves my mind. it makes me feel positive, active. it makes me feel good. (woman giving instructions in spanish) (class cheers, marcos laug) (man speaking spanish) >> i try everything there. i take yoga...
4:38 am
i talk with a psychologic. it doesn't always work. but i try to get better. (group singing) (group singing)
4:39 am
(car horns honking) >> you know we've been working with elizabeth on her case. >> ¡sí! >> she's somebody who doesn't give up. we filed the seventh petition on her case with ice, and it wased de people are in hola, they fight their cases, and theleave. they fight their case, they leave. but elizabeth is still fighting. six years, and she's still here. and we've tried everything, but there's some things that are our ofontrol. like ice and what is happening there, which... th're out of control, basically. so, elizabeth, do you want to saanything? >> yeah.
4:40 am
>> ¿quieres decir algo a la gente? >> hello, everyone. little bit of the update that the petition was denied again. seven times. and this last time, i was for sure it was gonna get approved. and what makes it even harder is recently we did an inquiry, and, um, they said that no matter what we do for this petition, they're just n gonna approve it. they're not gonna approve it no matter what, is what they said.o i'm still gonna mailer one, probably next week, and we're just waiting for a lettern because i'm not take that answer. >> but, um, i'm sure a lot of iople in here know how ha is when your spouse is iny another cound you just gotta try to keep it all together. d we're in our seventh year, and it's really, rlly hard. i mean, it's really hard on my husband. it'sard for me to watch him, like, see how hard it is for him, because he's a father, and
4:41 am
he has no opportunity to be a father. we have three children now, and he hasn't been with any of them. one of them for five months, that's it. that's it. so, that's his only opportunity he's had. and it's really, like, draining on my entire family. likely that we're just goost there. and i don't want anybody to feel like i'm giving up on hola, i'm giving up on immigration,no ing. 'cause even when i'm there, i'm still gonna be sending petitions, i'm still gonna beer doing what gotta do. but the most important thing is, i gotta ha my family together, and i feel spirituallyco licted. it shouldn't matter what land you're standing in, what house you live i what clothes you have on the back. you should have the people you love together with you. but it's really hard, 'cause ito moveexico before, and we didn't make it. like, we were hungry. and when i say hungry, i mean hungry. so, it's, like, it was really hard. so i've always had thisfo conflictthe last, like,
4:42 am
six years. and now i just feel like i'm calledlike, i, if i cannot get him home this year, before the ki... when the kids get out of school, i gotta, i gotta do it. i goke sure...ot that we'reivorced ten years from now. i gotta make sure that when we have grandkids, we're all at the same table, that this stupid immigration system doesn't destroy my family, 'cause it'snn not happen. they're not gonna win that. they've won this separation.lo they've won of things. they're not gonna win that.g) (train horn blar all right, listen to me, guys. i wanna talk to you guys about mexico, okay? >> yes. >> you know we might be moving to mexico when you get out of first grade, pelé. >> i'm not gonna play with my friends anymore. >> don't you think you'll get new friends in mexico? >> i, i'm really, i might get used to them.
4:43 am
but then... but then how can i speak their language? >> well, you'll figure it out. you're really smart, pelé. you're really... >> is that hot dog coother kids? >> nope. >> (laughing) lord help you. lemme see that. let me just touch it and see if it's at least warm! okay. you'll be fine. you'll learn how to speak spanish. it's not that rd. you're really smart. you'll figure it out. you guys are both really, really smart.yo do really good in school. you'll do really good in school there, too. you're just gonna have to work t littlearder. okay? okay? >> yeah, but n i'm in second grade. and i'll be in second grade next year. >> you're gonna be in second grade in mexico, okay? g and you're gonnato school. and you gotta learn how to speak spanish, okay? and it's probably gonna be really hard for you in the beginning. because you're really smart. okay? >> yeah. >> what is gonnaake you happy? >> playing soccer with daddy.
4:44 am
>> yeah? does daddy always play soccerth wiou? >> yeah. >> rocky. come here, rock. why do you not want to move to mexico? >> because maybe the teachers will askmexican word, how do you say in spanish, and we don't know what it is. anish! you're gonna arn >> no. we forget. >> you will learn spanish, rocky, and you'll learn how to speak spanish. >> no, i don't wanna move there. >> why do you not wanna move there? >> because we, we don't want to learn any spanish. weorget it. we don't know spanish. >> you'll learn spanish, rocky. >> no! >> why are you so angry about going mexico? >> because the teacher will tell us what's spanish, and me and pelé don't know. >> but you're gonna learn how to speak spanish! >> no, i'm not going to mexico. >> aren't you gonna be happy to and live in the same house with daddy?
4:45 am
>> if we do not go to a school.t >>f we go to mexico, you're gonna have to go to school in mexico. >> no! >> we are going to mexico. no! >> and you're going to school in mexico. >> but the schools just want spanish.ni they just want spa, mexico people there, not ohio. and i don't know spanish >> okay, well, we're going to mexico. >> no! >> we are going to mexico. ♪ (manhanting over loudspeaker ♪
4:46 am
>> what spanish words did you guys learn today? >> rocky, how do you say in spanish 49? >> cuarenta nueve. >> yeah. >> daddy, remember you heard me say ite car? i can count to a hundred. >> mm-hmm. >> how you say 15? >> um... >> you should know. >> 15? >> yeah.to >> doce, trece, e, y? >> um... quince? >>eah. >> how about this, how about this? count as high as you can coule. t me see how high you can go. from the beginning. >> me, too? >> nope. rocky rst. >> (counting in spanish) >> pelé. >> (unting in spanish) >> we've been in the yucatan for a while now. we have another baby here, so we have four children now to take care of. so that just throws extra work into the mix. >> i forget which one i was on! >> (speaking spanish)at >> (grunts in frusn) >> you better... don't do that. pelé and rocky have been in school for a while. >> that's why i try to remind you.
4:47 am
>> no! >> you gotta calm down, pelé. e lough to recognize that they each have their own challenges with the transition and the language. >> i know i know. >> the next one? >> (speaking spanish)el >> pelé will push hitrying to be the best he can. >> (speaking spanish) >> rocky's having trouble, ripping up his book in school, getting mad. >> pelé, you're not looking! >> no! i can't... >> just things that with time will get better. ...or you're fired.>> h, yeah, you called me fired? then you get a whuppin'. >> okay, if you find it at onc dad, then you are out. so, daddy goes first. okay, dad.rs >> okay, ys yellow? >> wait, i was supposed to go first! okay, isour guy yellow? >> yep. >> yep. okay. >> are you blue? >> okay, this is a blue,et's see... this is a blue. >> wait, why are you opening the >> 'cause daddy asked if it was blue. >> it's orange? >> no, you said it was orange first, so it's orange. so you have to say it's orange, so you have to flip all the ones that are orange.
4:48 am
>> you said it is orange! >> i said 's not orange. >> so now it's yellow? >>h, yeah. >> is... is yours sea lion? >> yes! hey, you heard that! >> what i hear? >> you... you cheated! i win! >> (laughing) >> (laughing) >> you cheated!le >> okay, now let, nos start over, come on. >> it was just a joke! >> he cheated! >> okay. >> he cheated! >> chill out. >> mommy, now we're doing the people guess who. >> okay. >> again? >> you know, since marcos was deported in 2010, we have not lived together more than a couple of months at a time. in essence, he has been a bachelor, and i have been a single mom. w we're finally living together, after all these years, and we have to learn to live together again.
4:49 am
and it's really not easy. we have a lot of tension. a big prlem that we have here is, marcos can't find a job. and it's definitely not for a lack of trying. he was offered a job as a security guard. he would work 60 hours a week, and he would get paid apprimately 55 u.s. dollars. and i told him, that's really not the kind of money that we need to be making. he feels emasculated, because he's not working and bringing in money. and all of these things i feel like he takes out on me. we're getting money from the v.a. pension in my name. he feels like he has to do everything i say, because i'm the one bringing money in. >> but for me it's, like, i don't need all this stuffs. i told her, we can live a little bit cheaper, in a little bit cheaper place. >> you're the one that picked this place, not me. >> no, i understand that.ic
4:50 am
>> youd this place. >> no, it's not nothing like that. it's because you feel so then you keep throwing it in my face that we moved here. >> because you feel comfortable. >> well, then, stop throwing itn y face i feel comfortable. >> you feel comfortable. i saw you, like, you feel comfortable. i can see you. i mean, i'm not guessing. i can see you where, where you feel comfortable, where you feel happ otherwise, you, you not happy. and then what happen right now is, like, you have to adjust and accept it, like, you not gonna see your mom, you not gonna have your friends. >> i already know that. >> you not gonna work with holay you not gonna har friends, or whatever. >> marcos, you act like i never left home before in my life. >> i'm a grown woman. >> no, no. well, the point, the end of the pot is, like, the stress, like, you no really happy, like, sometimes we argue and whatever. it's, i told you, i'm happy. you see, i call my mom, and it's my li, i don't wanna be, people be like me. but i call my mom sometimes, i call... but you gotta be 24 om 7:00 in the morning till all, till 8:00, 9:00! but i do all of this stuff because i love her and for my
4:51 am
kids. it's, it just about you! >> this is so stupid. here in a great place.e living we have everything that we could possibly want right now. our family, we're here together, and we can't get past, "i follow you everywhere. you tell me to do this. b this, this, blh blah blah blah. you're on the phone too much. this or that. oh, you're on the phone all thee timeuse you're not happy with your family." i'm on the phone all the time 'cause i like to talk. "you're like this. you have a friend. you have friends. you should care more bout yourfamily. why you care about your friends all the time?" i have one friend, and we only text. >> okay, go ahead. it's, like, okay, "i don't wanna be here, i wanna go with my friends, like this and that.to and we just gother." okay, go ahead. that's what you want, so... >> your deportation has just destroyed everything. you feel like when you have your visa interview in 2020, and it doesn't work, we're just gonna go back to the united states, d you're here, and we're there, and our relationship is over. you feel like this is just a u
4:52 am
game f and we're just here on, like, a mini vacation until you can have your visa interview. like it's this plan i have all planned out in the beginning. when in reality, i don't know what the heck is going o i don't know what's gonna happen with the interview. i don't know what's gonna happen with immigration law between now and then. really, really stable.ng, like, so, if in 2020, they don't say, "you know what, this is done, blah blah blah," for me, it's not. so you can say, "you know, that, separate."tion is like you got your babies. you got stability in there. you don't need a man. you can have ten if you want to. and then, i'm stuck here. >> your visa could get denied very well, yes. but why we gotta fig about it every single day now? >> (sighs) >> ♪ iheaven i have a holy father
4:53 am
♪ who tells me i am never alone ♪ who tells me just to keep on believing ♪ and to keep the spirit he has called me his soul ♪ in heaven i have a holy father ♪s >> for more on td other programs visit, pbs.org. (singing continues) to order "marcos doesn't live here anymore" on dvd, visit shop pbs, or call 1-800-play-pbs. this program is also available on amazon prime video. (singing in spanish)
4:54 am
>> we got 171 dead black people. that's not a state of emergency? >> america's top critics arera ving about the new must see documentary. >> when i first decided i was going to join, my friends was st like, "how could you? the way they treat us. they only want to lock us up." >> it's "gripping", a new york times critic's pic >> i'm compelled to help these young men and women.>> hopeful and engrossing." and, "moving! with echoes of the 'the wire'." "cha city". only on pbs. >> narrator: three decades ago in pennsylvania, "frontline" nt inside the divide ove abortion. >> this is a life-size, model... >> narrator: now, we return to see what has changed on both sides. >> we realized, if we're ever going to outlaw abortion that we have to be able to help women who feel that's their only alternative. >> necause i'm a mother, i'mot
4:55 am
supposed to be doing stuff like this right? it's not that simple though.e >> somtients are like, "i don't want to be doing this, but it is the right choice for m" only they know what they should do. narrator: on "reconstruction." higginbotham: the mantra was to be of service to the race. narrator: a people pushed forward. williams: in education, employment. gates jr.: they turned inward and created a black world within a whiteorld. narrator: but the future. damuhammad: things propag, mob, terror. narrator: looked a lot like the past. ayers: the goal was to make sure that this remains a white man's country. narrator: "reconstruction: america after thcivil war" tomorrow at 9/8 central, >> major support for frontline, itvs, and latino public broadcasting is provided bypo the tion for public broadcasting. frontline is made possible bybu contons to your pbs station from viewers like you. thank you. major support is provided by the
4:56 am
john d. and catherine t. macarthur foundation. committed to building a more just, verdant, and peaceful world. additonal support is provided ba the foundation. committed to excellence in journalism. e park foundation. dedicated to heightening public awareness of critical issues. a the jo helen glessner family trust. supporting trustworthy journalism that informs and inspires. locking knowledge, foundation. opportunity, and possibilities. and by the frontline journalism fund. with major support from joand jo ann hagler. major support for frontline is b providthe ford foundation. working with visionaries on the fronlines of social changee. worldw and for this program, by it's justfilms initiative. ♪ you're watching pbs.
4:57 am
4:58 am
4:59 am
5:00 am
(somber music) - [angel] just an energetic kid. i compensated a lot with being able to not tell peoi'm undocumen, i really compensated a lot with that with like focused on me saying hi or focused on me knowing people, focused on me in this way so that you don't really ask too much. and that was something i did and i still kinda do. (laughing) (chattering) - [boy] a st because it was to rl. - if you adjust to every little thing so that no one really knows the family secret,

0 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on